They were having in event in Bettendorf, Iowa. And they—if you went online, you could get these free tickets, so we decided we would go. And I was seven rows from the podium that he stood behind. And I asked him, “Will you please come to Freeport, Illinois, and help Sensata employees save their jobs?” At that point, we were removed. And as we were being removed, his supporters are scream—first they start a “U.S.A.” chant. And we’re like, “Yes, we agree.” And then they started calling us communists for trying to keep our jobs from going to China. And I have never understood that yet.
Tom Gaulrapp, Sensata Employee of 33 years, talks about his experience at a Romney campaign stop. Sensata is controlled by Bain Capital, the company Romney helmed for years and still owns interest in. He was there to plead with Romney to intervene, to stop his and his colleagues jobs from being shipped overseas.
Well, you know, this was—this is a business that makes a lot of profits. Sensata Technology has set a record last year for profitability. So it’s not like they’re moving these jobs because it’s either move it or it goes bankrupt. It’s just they don’t make enough. And the Chinese government is providing them with a plant, and they can save on labor. And a dollar seems to be more important to them than any sense of community responsibility towards the areas where they are.
To be clear, Tom isn’t being let go because of necessary cutbacks due to a failing business. He’s being let go to boost his boss’ bottom line in spite of a great fiscal year. Gotta love those job creators.
I’m sure in the coming days we’ll see articles about this being yet another attack on Mitt Romney by “lyin’ liberals” and whatnot. People will say he has no influence in the matter while conveniently ignoring the fact that this particular business model was pioneered by none other than Mittens himself.
I’m sure Mitt Romney has never gained anything from tactics like these. Oh. Wait. Never mind that.
What bothers me most is the treatment of these people by Romney, his campaign, and his supporters. Romney may or may not have influence over Bain today, but what he does have control over right now is his campaign and the people running it. What does his campaign do? Sic the police on people who might be under this crazy notion that a presidential candidate might be interested in actually taking a stand FOR them. I guess this is where we pretend that the man who wants to run the country was completely ignorant (and therefore innocent) in the matter and accept it as a valid excuse. We also pretend that Romney’s privilege as Presidential candidate and former founder of the company firing the people in question simply doesn’t exist.
This is the treatment Romney’s so called 47% can expect in their hour of need. Something to remember when you walk to the polls this November.
406 Notes/ Hide
- literallyabear reblogged this from ragelikeadog
- ragelikeadog reblogged this from venusincardigan
- hcknloopr reblogged this from librariansdoitinthestacks
- hcknloopr likes this
- librariansdoitinthestacks reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- aliababwa likes this
- crackinthecloud reblogged this from lucypaw
- evelark reblogged this from knitmeapony
- jhermann likes this
- toalfact reblogged this from merinnan
- spillover reblogged this from chiquorinha
- merinnan reblogged this from knitmeapony
- silas216 reblogged this from sarahlee310
- silas216 likes this
- rainiebrit reblogged this from realworldnews
- incapableofregret reblogged this from knitmeapony
- mightybearfalconlives reblogged this from jonesinforjosie
- alcazzuri likes this
- thelovesgood reblogged this from eli-b
- letinout likes this
- theyalwayswantyoutoproveit reblogged this from karnythia
- cathybytes reblogged this from madgeekyworld
- quantumqstar likes this
- feministoutrage reblogged this from safespacenetwork
- raakkel reblogged this from shannibal-cannibal
- shewhodancesunderthemoon reblogged this from evillordzog
- jaineowl reblogged this from bohemianarthouse
- katkmeanders likes this
- onionhighonionandrenown reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- beckyh2112 reblogged this from darkpuck
- empgonzo likes this
- har-megiddo reblogged this from sarahlee310
- jenfangirls reblogged this from karethdreams
- the-nomadic-writer likes this
- demividalibre likes this
- onionhighonionandrenown likes this
- badhandle reblogged this from i-am-a-child-of-time
- frecklstiel reblogged this from bohemianarthouse
- doangivadam reblogged this from realworldnews
- countonlybluecars likes this
- torrigor likes this
- tragicallycanadian likes this
- boxdlunch reblogged this from kissing-whiskey
- fivedozencats likes this
- mquester likes this
- eclecticdreamweaver likes this
- contentment-of-cats reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- wethinktherefore reblogged this from trxsxrms
- wethinktherefore likes this
- shling reblogged this from kissing-whiskey